Thursday, July 17, 2008




Captions: A fellow PCVT on our street, my host mother's dog "Marta", My host sister milking the cow and the rolling hills of Kazakstan (as viewed from our Kyrgyz village)

This evening completes my first official week of living at my pre-service training site. So far, my stomach has been cooperating with the new diet: lots of potatoes, noodles, rice, bread, tea, some meat and fresh vegetable salads. I’m quickly becoming the next Pillsbury Doughboy. Seriously, though, as long as I can keep my health in-check, I’m content!

I’m pretty sure Google Earth doesn’t cover my village, so allow me to paint a picture. The general layout is 4 parallel roads, lined with family farms. My family owns cows, chickens and sheep….some of the neighbors also have horses. The farm smells are pretty familiar, but the outhouse is in a league of its own. I was invited to try milking a cow a few days ago, but I still need to work up the courage to help around the kitchen. There’s a very good chance I could become domesticated here. Another example would be the laundry experience.

I shower in a banya (just go along with my phonetic spelling). Fortunately, I’m able to shower every day…and now for the explanation. A banya is a little enclosed building were Kyrgyz people bathe. Basically, I undress in the first room and enter the second room, where I mix a tub of water, taking cold water from a ground faucet and warm water from a water basin that is heated with fuel. I’ve got no complaints – but I’m leery of any communal banyas that the future may hold.

As far as the weather goes, it gets pretty hot during the day. I thought rain was rare, but we were assaulted by some misty rain on our walk to the internet café today. I’ve got a week of Kyrgyz under my belt, but I still sound like a two-year-old. This week should bring some more interesting news!

6 comments:

Judy said...

LOVE THE PICTURES! Seems like life in MN 100 years ago.sounds like there is a lot to learn in training..hang in there.love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lu! It sounds like eveything is working out pretty well so far, and you've already had some great experiences! The pics are awesome and I love hearing about every detail for your adventure! Let's just say the blog stalking has commenced. I miss you! <3 Gretla

akron said...

Hey lady! I'm glad to hear all is well. The pictures are great, looks like a beautiful place!
I sent you a love letter last week. Let me know if/when you get it!
-Andizzle

Anonymous said...

You're very good at this 'blogging'...have you blogged before? I'm glad everything is well, I'm so proud of you!....maybe I'll get one of those bumperstickers to put on my car that say 'My friend is in the Peace Corps'....kind of like 'my kid is on an honor student'. Ya?
Love Peach

cluhmann said...

Wow sounds intense dude. Well this is the first time I looked at this in a while since I just got back from Peru, but it sounds like you have been through a lot already. A lot of what you are talking about sounds like what I went through in Peru (not as intense though)... but I would have to say that once I got home from Peru I really missed it, so make sure to enjoy it while you are there. Anyways good luck with everything and i'll talk to you later.

Lacy said...

I can't wait to hear about the what other banya's you may cross! And Chris, why were you in Peru? I LOVE Peru :-)