Monday, July 14, 2008

Touching Base

So, I have 4 days of Kyrgyz language lessons under my belt...and a daily routine is beginning to take form. I get up around 7:30 and have breakfast (bread, cookies, and coffee) then walk three blocks down the road to our teacher's house for 3 hours of language lessons. I didn't have time to download an entry to my USB, so I'm kind of crunched for internet time right now...
How about I just share some bullet points:
  • I did my laundry by hand yesterday and my knuckles are still raw. It was a good feeling, though, to realize how self-sufficient I can be.
  • My host family has been geusting quite a few visitos who are interested in talking with an American. I help them practice their English and they clarify whatever phrase my host mother and I have been struggeling with over the past 24 hours.
  • The community I'm staying in feels very safe. Everyone knows everyone else, so people are held accountable for their actions. I feel very furtunate to have landed such a warm host family/community.
  • I discovered the post office today, so please send letters when you get a chance!
p.s. Can someone please give Holly Cooper a hug for me?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laundry by hand! Impressive. Cookies for breakfast! Even more impressive.

Just wanted to say I absolutely love the picture you posted. That camera was definitely worth it! Once you actually get a chance to breathe/sit, you should show us more. love ya!